Many of us have a misconception that if we have good technical skills, we can be excellent freelancers, and can solve our client problems and earn good bucks. But did you know there is more to this. While having strong technical skills is a must to be successful freelancers, but to be successful as a freelancer(full time), you need to know the trades of running a business.Yes , you heard it right?
Full-time freelance or consulting is simply running a business. It doesn’t matter whether you open a booth selling lemonade or you’re selling websites. Whether you are a Digital Marketing pro or a good writer on Taskitoo.com, being full time freelancer develops the Business skills in you. Lets look at some of the key attributes of running this business successfully :
- You need to understand sales and how to convince people to buy from you. On any interaction with your employer, you need to convince him/her what value you will bring to their business. You need to be an adapt Salesman while speaking ( read selling) your skills to beat your competition.
- You have to establish a community of followers and fans that will promote you or work with you. You need to work in such a way that your employers provide good feedback for you. The good feedback will make your brand equity stronger.
- You have to decide your price tag by understanding the age of your product( read age as your experience in the skills) . Assess pricing depending on the current market, business needs, and how customers compare that to other things in life.
- You have to understand the legal part of things – namely, terms of service, proposals, what’s included in your offering and how to prevent the so called “scope creep” and to get paid when anticipated. You will have to be extra cautious while defining the project success criteria especially considering that it can make or break your future with that particular engagement.
- You should manage the slow seasons and handle the workload during peaks and be able to work with multiple leads simultaneously. As there will be times when you will be working for multiple clients simultaneously, you need to understand time management better.
There will be a mix of certain business tactics which you will have to follow while choosing your freelancing projects successfully such as risk management( understanding what if i don’t become successful in this project or accessing the success criteria of a project), sales, marketing, negotiations( on your price and client’s budget), project management, legal and accounting are common for running a freelance business. You should be able to promote yourself and handle leads efficiently. You have to plan, distribute the workload, communicate with your clients and partners, juggle multiple projects at the same time, and deliver quality work.
The implementation aspect is important as high quality work will bring more referrals and will get you compensated. But there’s so much more going on in-between that eats up the majority of your time for many beginner freelancers.
So are you ready? Does this Sounds Exciting? Sign up today at www.taskitoo.com