Congrats on your selection of Digital Marketing freelancing as a career choice . If you think selling people’s product by making it sound fancy is your calling then the best way to start your career in it is by freelancing for various projects. Why? Because it makes you understand your niche industry like lifestyle, industrial products or services. I am going to share with you 10 steps on how you can start it off:
- Pick the Projects : Pick up random projects that you see over https://taskitoo.com/projects/ and try to understand the business motives of the employer. Discuss them with the employer and understand there way of working and what they are trying to achieve from the engagement.
- Work Plan: Once you get a reply from any of these companies, design a work plan for them. Create a generic one before so that you can easily edit it as when need arises. The Work Plan should include what all you can do for them like the number of social media posts, ideas on how their product can be sold through various elements like blogs or collaborations and strategies on how you can increase the customer engagement.
- Sample your work: This is where you have to sell yourself. In this part you need to convince them about the quality of the work you can provide. Design at least 4-5 sample social media posts and 10 blog topics that will help in promotion of their product. The creatives should cover different elements by which their idea can be marketed. For example, show how their product can be used for corporate gifting, various tips and tricks of that industry (like fitness tips, etc) and general product awareness posts. And Before this get familiar with Photoshop and Canva.
- Price Quote: If you are just starting out, quote very minimal as possible as you have to build your own portfolio first to be able charge as per your whim. And as you see that your work is getting a lot of appreciation raise the bar you set before.
- Contract it out: This is one of the most important things you should concentrate on. The clients can be very tricky in the future and demand more work than what was agreed for. We need to make them comprehend the fact that freelancing work does not mean free work. So set out your deliverables previously on a proper mail with them so that when time comes you have a proof of the work that you were supposed to do and this way nobody feels cheated.
- Do the talk: Get acquainted with what your client wants and how he/she wants to portray their product. It is very important to apprehend the constraints that they want in terms of their target market. Sometimes they want to focus on a specific Target Group to get a monopoly in that segment and then may be spread out. Discuss all the strategies with them on how you can help winning that TG.
- Advertisement Budget: Ask them how much they are ready to spend on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram advertisement. A budget will help you design ads for them before time. And they will be happy to see how eager you are to spread their ideas across.
- Final Work Plan: Once you are familiar with what needs to be done start writing all the To Do’s for a month. Set out what has to be done including the objective of doing it, so that your client has a clear picture on what he is spending his money on. Once you have his confidence, in a few months you won’t need so many authorizations.
- Competition: It is really necessary to keep a tab on the client’s competitors and keep him updated about it. Doing it weekly is a good idea. Make sure you eye on everything they are upto so that if need arises you can alter your strategies in time. And this keeps the client more than happy.